Total packaging industry deals for Q1 2020 worth $3.08bn were announced globally, according to GlobalData’s deals database.
- Embed this chart
Embed this chart into your website
Copy and paste the code below into your website to display the chart.
The value marked a decrease of 39.3% over the previous quarter and a drop of 52.4% when compared with the last four-quarter average of $6.47bn.
In terms of number of deals, the sector saw a rise of 9.8% over the last four-quarter average with 101 deals against the average of 92 deals.
In value terms, North America led the activity with deals worth $1.41bn.
Packaging industry deals in Q1 2020: Top deals
The top five packaging deals accounted for 82.8% of the overall value during Q1 2020.
The combined value of the top five packaging deals stood at $2.55bn, against the overall value of $3.08bn recorded for the month.
The top five packaging industry deals of Q1 2020 tracked by GlobalData were:
1) Silgan Holdings’ $900m asset transaction with Albea Beauty Holdings
2) The $639.15m private equity deal with Pretium Packaging by Clearlake Capital Group
3) H&PC Brazil Participacoes’ $522.41m acquisition of Santher Fabrica de Papel Santa Therezinha
4) The $250m acquisition of Graphic Packaging International Partners by Graphic Packaging Holding
5) JBS USA’s asset transaction with Empire Packing Company, L.P for $238m.
Verdict deals analysis methodology
This analysis considers only announced and completed deals from the GlobalData financial deals database and excludes all terminated and rumoured deals. Country and industry are defined according to the headquarters and dominant industry of the target firm. The term ‘acquisition’ refers to both completed deals and those in the bidding stage.
GlobalData tracks real-time data concerning all merger and acquisition, private equity/venture capital and asset transaction activity around the world from thousands of company websites and other reliable sources.
More in-depth reports and analysis on all reported deals are available for subscribers to GlobalData’s deals database.