Based on Total's dedicated HDPE ISBM resin SB 1359, combining excellent processability with outstanding mechanical...
Producers of rigid food packaging, caps and closures, medical devices, pharmaceutical packaging, house wares and kitchen wares will be able to take full advantage of Total Petrochemicals’ new Lumicene® random metallocene product range.
Polymer substitution of polycarbonate and PVC is another target with a strong penetration achieved in demanding applications such as baby bottle production.
Why use Lumicene® random?
- To reduce production costs
- To benefit from significant down gauging (cost benefit and environmental benefit)
- To benefit from a superior food compatibility
- To improve part aesthetics (gloss and/or transparency)
For years Total Petrochemicals has led the way in developing polypropylene grades to boost the converter’s productivity. Lumicene® random polypropylene grades are the next step forward.
Total Petrochemicals’ Lumicene® random products propose different grades to fit with market needs:
- MR110MC2: MFI 110g/10min, high transparency
- MR60MC2: MFI 60g/10min, high transparency
- MR30MC2: MFI 30g/10min, high transparency
- MR30MX0: MFI 30g/10min, super high transparency
- MR10MX0: MFI 10g/10min, super high transparency
- Production cost reduction: moulding productivity – with standard random (ZN catalyst) dimensional variation occurs from one injection shot to another due to variation in shrinkage. With Lumicene® the moulding precision is much higher, the reproducibility between shots is much improved giving a lower reject rate of out of specification parts. In addition, the higher rigidity allows a faster demoulding
- Production cost reduction: faster cycle time – reduced cooling and injection time thanks to high fluidity and high rigidity of MR110MC2
- Down gauging (cost and environmental benefit): Lumicene® PP product range exhibits 150 Mpa more rigidity allowing down gauging. At the same time the impact resistance shows a ductile behavior at room temperatures. In short: higher rigidity and better impact
- Superior food compatibility: ultra low extractables and best in class organoleptic properties give Lumicene® range the status of universal grade for food packaging
- Improved parts aesthetics (gloss and/or transparency)
Case study: injected food packaging tray produced with Lumicene® MR110MC2
Case study: thin wall food packaging trays 22g with MR110MC2:
- Savings on production costs: 30 to 50€/T
- Better container performance
- Part weight reduction potential of 4-8%: 50 to 100€/T
Standard production conditions: 5 sec cycle time with MFI 40 at 235°C. Production with MR110MC2 with following advantage:
- Cycle time of 4.45 sec at 215°C
- Superior food compatibility
- Impact resistance: the Lumicene® technology allows to increase the MFI while keeping the impact resistance
- Further possibilies to reduce the weight thanks to flowability and high rigidity of Lumicene® MR110MC2
- High moulding reproducibiltity ensuring constant tightness of the lids
- Excellent aesthetic
Multiple challenges are present in the field of load unitization: on one hand the increasing...
Caps and closures is a key segment for Total Petrochemicals; the company has had a...
With a breakthrough HDPE new resin SB 1359, running even faster than 1,700 bottles/hours/cavity on...