Five of the best drinks packaging rebrands
Starting out as a tonic health drink, Vimto’s rebrands have seen the drink available as glass-bottled Hot Vimto in 1932 to cardboard-boxed Vimto cordial in 1957.
The drink become available in cans for the first time in 1964, using a red, white and blue striped design to what it describes as ‘quintessentially British.’ And in 1982, the brand moved on to produce its beverage in carton form for the ready-to-drink market.Vimto lost its striped design and opted for a more modern, flashy look in 1988.
Vimto is introducing new packaging and the 'Vimtoad' character, created by Aardman: http://t.co/8p8OCfKWuX
— Design Week (@Design_Week) March 25, 2014
By the 2010s, Cherry Vimto, Vimto Pouches and Vimto Squeezy were launched and the overall brand was marketed as one for teens and people on the go. In addition to this, screw and flip top caps were introduced.
By 2014, the fruit-twisting drinks brand got another new packaging look with more colour to encompass the taste of its fruity ingredients and distinguishable details for its different ranges.
Known for its iconic ‘you know when you’ve been Tangoed’ slogan, Tango has showcased a range of packaging rebrands over the years, which have all kept to a similar aesthetic. For every rebrand, Tango has kept its sleek black can design, opting to play around with the graphics of the fruit in contains and typography, starting with its universal orange flavour.
In terms of innovation, the brand launched its limited-edition 440ml cans in 2009 and its Turbo Tango – the ‘world’s first’ soft drink dispensed through an aerosol container –in 2011.
Earlier this year, Tango launched a new packaging redesign to accompany its new sugar-free flavours.
— Tango (@DrinkTango) May 13, 2019
Carbonated soft drink brand Pepsi has been through many branding rebirths over the course of its 152-year history. Originally known as Pepsi-Cola, the drink had a red text logo using a script-style typeface and was sold in six-ounce glass bottles. Then, in 1905, the company got a new logo – the first change since its inception in 1898.
A year later, the PepsiCo-owned brand added a slogan to its script logo, making it the third rebrand in eight years.
Fast-forward to 1961, Pepsi dropped the ‘Cola’ in its name and introduced its iconic red, white and blue circular logo, accompanied by a new bold, black, sans-serif font.
Since then, Pepsi has undergone many rebrands, including the use of canned and plastic bottle formats, but has ultimately kept its red, white and blue DNA.
Pepsi’s rebrands have become so iconic that many now use the term being ‘Pepsi’d’ as a tongue in cheek reference to minor brand tweaks.
Depressingly, I have started by day by seeing someone who looked like me and dressed like me — but just a bit better. In other words, I've been Pepsi'd.
How do I move on from here? Do I need to move? Radical rebrand?
— Erik Winther Paisley (@ewpaisley) September 17, 2019
If childhood could be packaged into a drink it would be Capri-Sun. Flexible, travel-sized and child-friendly, this beverage has been a favourite for generations.
Often decorated with kid-friendly mascots or vivid images of fruit, Capri-Sun rebrands started under the name Capri-Sonne in Germany 1969 – the first of its kind to be sold in the country.
In terms of its actual packaging, Capri-Sun prides itself on its efficient stand-up foil pouch, which weighs only a third of a standard PET bottle, with a 10 pack carton holding 94% fruit drink and the remaining 6% packaging. In 1982, the pouch was awarded the US medal for Packaging of the Year.
The year 2007 saw Capri-Sun debut its larger pouch with re-closable twist-off cap, and the European Space Agency enhanced the pouch for use by its astronauts on the International Space Station in 2010.
In 2014, Capri-Sun US added a transparent bottom to its drinking pouch following claims from parents that mould was found in some of its beverages. And last month, Capri-Sun US partnered with Crayola to create colour-your-own boxes for Capri-Sun multipacks.
— Capri Sun (@Capri_Sun) August 16, 2019
5) Fruit Shoot
The year 2000 saw another kids’ favourite, Robinsons Fruit Shoot, launch into the drinks market. Deriving from the iconic Robinsons Barley Drink, the Fruit Shoot bottle has had many changes to capture the attention of its baby-faced target market.
Fruit Shoot’s originally came in re-sealable opaque coloured bottles. In 2006, Fruit Shoot Hydro launched in larger 350ml transparent bottles. My-5 launched four years later in 2010, with similar graphic-style designs as its other fruity counterparts. In 2012, Fruit Shoot owner Britvic issued a product recall over safety concerns with its new spill-proof Magicap.
In January last year, Fruit Shoot rebranded with semi-translucent bottles across its core range but not without its spill-free cap.
— Retail Express (@retailexpress) February 25, 2018