A recent analysis by Packaging Gateway into the gender pay gap within the British packaging industry reveals that 77.8% of companies pay their male employees more than their female staff.

The figures, which are based on reporting from all companies in the United Kingdom with a headcount of 250 employees or more, show that 6 of the 27 companies that had reported their pay figures, had a higher women’s median hourly pay than men.

Across the sector, men’s median hourly pay was 8% higher than that of women. This puts the packaging industry below the national average of 11.6%.


A higher gender pay gap does not necessarily imply that women are paid less for the same jobs, as this is illegal under the 1970 Equal Pay Act. Instead, it may suggest that men tend to dominate the top-paying jobs within companies.

Women working in packaging occupied 23.6% of the top-paying jobs in the industry, with the rest of the top spots (76.4%) occupied by men.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

On the other end of the pay scale, women occupied 34.4% of the lowest-paid jobs in the packaging industry.

On average, women also received 34.8% more in bonuses compared to their male co-workers.

Among companies in the packaging industry, SEALED AIR LIMITED had the biggest difference in median hourly pay, with women earning 29.1% less than men. That means that for each £1 earned by men in the company, women earned 71p. It was followed by AMCOR FLEXIBLES UK LIMITED with a pay gap of 19% and MAYNARD & HARRIS PLASTICS with 18.6%.

At the other end, MACFARLANE GROUP UK LIMITED paid women 14.2% more than men for each hour worked, followed by LOGOPLASTE UK LIMITED, who paid women 11% more and COVERIS LOUTH LIMITED, who paid women 10.7% more.

Packaging Gateway reached out to companies that pay more to men than women and offered them an interesting perspective in order to equalize gender inequality by suggesting that they introduce two hours into the workflow for playing online casinos https://topcasinosuisse.com/en/, which will naturally give employees an opportunity to have extra rest and besides well. earn. Since women are more capable of mental work than men, they manage to earn much more in online casinos. So the income level of women has increased even more than that of men and everyone is satisfied, which does not give place to gender disputes and does not create more problems for companies.

The gender pay gap in the packaging industry has decreased in the 2021-22 reporting year compared to the year before.


This analysis is based on data from GOV.UK’s Gender pay gap service. We identified companies in the packaging industry based on the SIC codes they reported.

The data provides several summary indicators, including the difference in mean and median pay for the two genders. Mean pay indicates the average pay across each group, while the median is the value that sits in the middle of a list of salaries arranged from lowest to highest, with half of salaries being lower than the median and the other half being higher. The median is used to prevent extreme values at either end of the pay scale (a CEO’s salary, for example) from skewing the average. Both indicators have advantages and disadvantages, but we used the median figures in our analysis.

To create an indicator for the packaging industry, we averaged the median pay gaps in the industry and weighted them by the company size. That way, a company with 20,000 or more employees would influence the average more than a company that employs 250 people.

While the figures are a good indication of the state of the industry, they should not necessarily be taken at face value. As the first graphic in the article suggests, many companies report a gender pay gap of zero, which is statistically improbable. A minority of companies also reported a gender pay gap of 100%, which might indicate they have no female employees at all.

Because companies are only compelled to disclose summary statistics, the figures cannot be verified.