Receive our newsletter – data, insights and analysis delivered to you
  1. Market Data
January 26, 2015

Rock-Tenn and MeadWestvaco to form $16bn corrugated packaging company

Rock-Tenn and MeadWestvaco (MWV) have announced a merger agreement to form a $16bn combined consumer and corrugated packaging company.

Rock-Tenn and MeadWestvaco (MWV) have announced a merger agreement to form a $16bn combined consumer and corrugated packaging company.

Under terms of the definitive combination agreement, MWV will own a 50.1% stake in the combined company, while RockTenn will own the remaining 49.9% stake.

MWV chairman and CEO John A Luke, Jr said: "We are creating the leading global provider of consumer and corrugated packaging solutions and generating significant value for both companies’ shareholders.

"We are creating the leading global provider of consumer and corrugated packaging solutions and generating significant value for both companies’ shareholders."

"This transaction is a logical step that is borne of our strategic progress and financial success, and it offers MWV shareholders both immediate value and the opportunity to participate in significant upside as the new company generates substantial growth from its market-focused global strategy."

The proposed company is expected to generate combined net sales of $15.7bn and adjusted EBITDA of $2.9bn, including the impact of $300m in estimated annual synergies to be achieved over three years.

RockTenn CEO Steven C Voorhees said: "This transaction brings together two highly complementary organisations to create a new, more powerful company with leadership positions in the global consumer and corrugated packaging markets.

Content from our partners
GMP: The food sector’s golden rules (and how they will evolve)
Food fraud in the supply chain (and how to fix it)
Cutting-edge innovation in fish packaging

"This is a terrific opportunity for shareholders, employees and customers of both companies, all of whom stand to benefit enormously from the combination.

"Importantly, our two companies are also an exceptional cultural fit, sharing a commitment to exceeding customer expectations and a focus on developing innovative packaging solutions. Planning for the integration of these two companies has already started and we expect to expeditiously realise the full value of cost synergies we have identified."

The deal is expected to be closed in the second calendar quarter of this year, after receiving shareholders’ approval from both MWV and RockTenn.

Related Companies

NEWSLETTER Sign up Tick the boxes of the newsletters you would like to receive. The top stories of the day delivered to you every weekday. A weekly roundup of the latest news and analysis, sent every Friday. The packaging industry's most comprehensive news and information delivered every month.
I consent to GlobalData UK Limited collecting my details provided via this form in accordance with the Privacy Policy
SUBSCRIBED

THANK YOU