Envicco, the joint venture (JV) between ALPLA Group and chemical company PTT Global Chemical (PTTGC), has achieved a milestone with the launch of the first food-grade recycled polyethylene terephthalate (rPET) bottles in Thailand.

The high-quality post-consumer recycled material has already been adopted by beverage brands Pepsi and Mineré, the natural mineral water brand under Nestlé’s (Thai) Water Business Unit, for its plastic bottles in the Thai market.

Alpla’s corporate director for Circular Economy & Recycling in Asia Bernd Wachter said: “Investing in the circular economy is a win for everyone. The environment, economy, and society benefit from the careful and efficient recycling of used plastics, creating sustainable, affordable, and innovative products, as well as generating new jobs.”

The Envicco JV was originally established by the two companies in September 2019. PTTGC owns 70% of Envicco, with ALPLA holding the remaining 30% stake in the partnership.

In September 2022, an advanced food-grade recycling plant, jointly owned by the JV partners for bottle-to-bottle applications, opened in Thailand.

This plant is said to be one of the largest recycling operations of its kind in Asia, with an annual production capacity of 30,000 tons (t) of rPET and 15,000t of recycled high-density polyethylene terephthalate.

How well do you really know your competitors?

Access the most comprehensive Company Profiles on the market, powered by GlobalData. Save hours of research. Gain competitive edge.

Company Profile – free sample

Thank you!

Your download email will arrive shortly

Not ready to buy yet? Download a free sample

We are confident about the unique quality of our Company Profiles. However, we want you to make the most beneficial decision for your business, so we offer a free sample that you can download by submitting the below form

By GlobalData
Visit our Privacy Policy for more information about our services, how we may use, process and share your personal data, including information of your rights in respect of your personal data and how you can unsubscribe from future marketing communications. Our services are intended for corporate subscribers and you warrant that the email address submitted is your corporate email address.

Both Pepsi and Mineré are running campaigns to generate public awareness about the new eco-friendly bottle format.

For Mineré, Nestlé partnered with supermarket chain 7-Eleven and PTTGC’s waste management platform YOUTURN to promote the ‘Bottle made from Bottles’ slogan.

Wachter added: “Raising awareness about the value of recyclables is central to promoting the circular economy. Consumer engagement increases collection rates, reduces waste, and ensures an adequate supply of materials for recycling.”