If you have been thinking about investing in Modified Atmosphere (MA) Packaging for a while, there’s a lot to take into account. Finding a reliable supplier and partner, making the necessary changes in the production line and figuring out what MA is perfect for your product.
In this article, you’ll find out:
- What competitive advantages Modified Atmosphere Packaging brings to your business
- What you should know before making the switch
- What to look for in your MA supplier
- How a perfect MA is created for your products
- What you’ll need for Modified Atmosphere Packaging
- How the journey of MA proceeds after implementation
The competitive advantage MA packaging gives you
What’s good for your products and for consumers, is good for your business. Here are some of the advantages MA will give you:
- You can offer organic products that aren’t treated with chemicals, which are in high demand
- You’ll get more control over your supply chain, meaning you can allocate resources better
- You can expand your market, thanks to longer shelf lives
- You save money on expensive chemicals
- You become a sustainable partner – and they’re getting more popular by the minute
The success of your Modified Atmosphere Packaging highly depends on who you choose to work with. Go for an experienced partner who is able to give your business and product the attention it deserves. You’ll be looking for more than a packaging supplier – this partner will become an important part of your supply chain.
Make sure they have the right certifications to operate in your market. Here are the certifications we have:
- ISO 9001, ISO 14000, ISO 22000
- BRC, AIB
- GMP, HACCP, HALAL
- SA8000, SEDEX
- Class 10,000 liner production
- Class 100,000 FIBC confection
Ask about the implementation process: will this disrupt your production process? We have our own R&D centre on-site, where we can test out what MA fits your product best without interrupting your own processes.
Team up with a partner who has experience with your product and can create an optimal Modified Atmosphere, so you reap all the benefits of the technology – and your investment.
Last but not least, go for a proactive partner. Research has shown that organisations who proactively manage supply chain risks spend up to 50% less on managing disruptions.
What you’ll need
Vacuum and Gas Injection machines, the sealing machines, the right valves, liners and bags; to create Modified Atmosphere Packaging, you’ll need quite a lot of knowledge and tools and techniques. Here’s a comprehensive checklist:
- The right gasses: Modified Atmosphere is used as an organic way of natural fumigation, using ultra-low oxygen levels in combination with nitrogen or carbon dioxide to protect (organic) products against insects.
- The right packaging material: This includes not only the FIBC, but also the liner and valve you will choose. Read all about liners in our Liner Guide.
- Packaging machine for MA packaging: One of the most essential machines for Modified Atmosphere Packaging is the Vacuum and Gas Injection machines, and the sealing machines to seal off the Modified Atmosphere.
The process doesn’t end once you start shipping your products in Modified Atmosphere Packaging. For optimal results, you monitor your products closely, have solid quality control processes in place, and continuously fine-tune your MA and improve your supply chain.
Meet Masterpack: your all-in-one packaging partner
We’re happy to walk you through all the necessary steps of Modified Atmosphere Packaging. Click ‘Make an Enquiry’ for more information.